a content='IE=EmulateIE7' http-equiv='X-UA-Compatible'/> Kenna's Felt Forest: I'm the Map, I'm the Map, I'm the Map!

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

I'm the Map, I'm the Map, I'm the Map!

Finally! A break from the non-stop custom orders from the last month or so... and just in time to start working on some Christmas gifts!

I'm pretty sure you know "Map" from Dora the Explorer. If you don't, consider yourself very, very lucky.  If you do, I apologize for the stupid song now running continuously through your head.  My sweet Kenna is rather taken by Dora and friends. We watch very little television, so Dora DVD's are a real treat for her.  Recently, Kenna has taken to wadding up any paper she can find, calling it "her map" and stuffing it into her little backpack.  She sings the Dora songs, she pretends that Swiper is lurking around every corner, and calls Daddy Boots more often than not. ?

 So yeah, making her a Map is a no-brainer gift! I haven't seen anything like this around, so I just kinda winged it. I wanted the map to roll up and show his face, and when it was unrolled, I wanted the three destinations to be interchangeable. I grabbed some felt and got to work. I have to say I am in love with this project, and know Kenna will be, too!



 Here's the map. The only thing glued down is the road. You can see a small square of scratchy velcro I handstitched on so that the map will stay rolled up.

 Then I got to start making the "destinations". First, through the flower garden...


Then hike over Big Mountain!
 Go around the Red Barn!
Here are three destinations, laid out on the map- flower garden, wooden bridge, dark cave.  :)
 Forest, alligator lake, big mountain!
Park, pumpkin patch (in honor of our two recent trips there... I just knew Kenna would love this...) and red barn.
When I finished making the pieces for the inside, I quickly cut out Map's Face. Because he is a cartoon, his face is completely outlined in black. To mimic this, I simply cut two layers of felt. I think he came out pretty adorable!

Here's the whole set. I am sure that when Kenna gets ahold of it, she will ask me for some specific things to add, and I can't wait! I plan to make at least one more set for an upcoming 3 year old birthday girl who loves Dora, too!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...